PPV-06: Anti-IL-6 immunotherapy
PPV-06 anti-IL-6 immunotherapy is Peptinov’s most advanced product . PPV-06 was successfully evaluated during a regulatory toxicity study which took place in 2018. It is now ready for a phase 1 clinical trial involving knee osteoarthritis patients with inflammatory phenotype.
Why IL-6 ?
IL-6 is a pro-inflammatory cytokine whose overproduction has been involved in the pathogenesis of numerous inflammatory diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, Horton’s disease (giant cell arteritis), aging diseases and cancers. IL-6 is a validated therapeutic target for the treatment of several inflammatory diseases for which several anti-IL-6 monoclonal antibodies are already in the market.
IL-6 and osteoarthritis
Osteoarthritis is a major public health issue, with over 250 million patients worldwide.
There is evidence that in many cases of osteoarthritis, particularly knee osteoarthritis, inflammatory processes are at work and play a major role in the progression of the disease. The IL-6 protein, when overproduced, can act as a true amplifier of inflammation, and consequently of osteoarthritis degradation.
Peptinov’s immunotherapy aims at countering this issue: by inducing the patient’s body to generate antibodies against the excess IL-6 protein, Peptinov will be able to block inflammation, and thus disease progression.
PPV-06 tests have demonstrated:
– a protective effect in a mouse systemic sclerosis model (published results),
– induction of neutralizing anti-human IL-6 antibodies after immunizations in rabbits
– induction of significant levels of anti-human IL-6 antibodies and of a protective effect against the inflammation linked to the Delayed-Type Hypersensitivity response in monkeys using a peptide sequence which is identical in monkey and human IL-6 (Desallais et al., Sci Rep, 2016).
Other potential applications for PPV-06:
IL-6 is involved in the pathogenesis of several inflammatory diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, Horton’s disease (giant-cell arteritis) and several aging-related diseases, as well as cancers. Several monoclonal antibodies are already approved treatments for several inflammatory diseases.
Peptinov’s PPV-06 anti-IL-6 active immunotherapy will be tested in several chronic diseases for which there are no satisfactory treatments today.
PPV-01: Anti-IL-1b immunotherapy
IL-1b is a pro-inflammatory cytokine whose overproduction has been involved in the pathogenesis of several chronic inflammatory diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, CAPS syndromes or atopic dermatitis. Targeting IL-1b has also been validated as a relevant therapeutic strategy, as demonstrated by the development of anakinra or canakinumab.
PPV-01 test results have demonstrated:
– protective effect in a mouse rheumatoid arthritis model,
– induction of neutralizing anti-human IL-1 antibodies after immunizations in rabbits,
– induction of neutralizing anti-human IL-1 antibodies after immunizations in rhesus monkeys.